Beginner – Intensive Shoemaking Course – 12 Days
£1,995.00 – £2,095.00
- 4 – 16 May *
- 15 – 27 June *
- 14 – 27 July *
- 5 – 17 October
- Time: 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Book by: Four weeks before the course starts
* This intensive shoe making course follows on immediately from the last making course at Lastmaker’s House; carefully timed so that you get two great courses under your belt in one fell swoop!
Like the last making course, this is an intensive course that packs an exhilarating 96 hours of shoe making into 12 days and includes comprehensive course notes and a starter box of specialist tools.
Handsewn shoes are amongst the strongest construction and can be repaired time and time again. We use Bakers’ oak bark tanned leather for all of the shoemaking components and Italian leather for the uppers.
Through demonstration and trial, and using only hand-held tools, we will guide you through the following techniques:
- Preparing the insoles and leather components
- Hand lasting
- Hand welting
- Adding a shank and cork
- Stitching the sole
- Building the leather heels
- Finishing the soles and heels
- Pulling the last and fitting a sock
At the end, you will proudly walk away with a pair of shoes that you have made yourself, a course certificate and your starter kit of tools.
All of the materials that you will need are provided including an apron, comprehensive course notes and a starter kit of tools.
Find out more
When you do book, you will be asked to specify:
- Your UK shoe size
- The style of shoe you would like to make – a Wholecut, Oxford or Derby shoe
- The leather colour you would like – black, brown or burgundy
- Any detailing you would like e.g. blind eyelets, a toe cap, counter or medallion
- Whether you would like shoe trees.
Please note: all Carreducker students receive a 20% discount on the kits, tools and materials that we sell in the online Supplies Shop.
See our full Terms & Conditions here.