Shoe Making Kit – The Full Monty
The ultimate shoe making kit of materials, lasts, uppers, tools and video instruction to make a pair of handsewn leather shoes, saving £100.
FULL MONTY KIT CONTENTS:
1 pair of 0743 plastic lasts with an almond toe shape; 1 1/8” (28mm) heel height; and spring breaking system – please use the diagram and chart below to help you to choose your last size (at checkout)
1 pair of calf leather uppers in a choice of classic Wholecut, Oxford or Derby styles, in four colour choices and with detailing options – for the size of last you have chosen
A “rough stuff” pack of Bakers’ oak bark pit tanned leather – insoles, welts, shanks, cork, soles, split lifts, heel lifts and top pieces – for the size of last you have chosen
1 x spool of linen thread
1 x ball of homemade thread wax
1 x lump of tar for attaching bristles (enough for about 20 pairs of shoes).(You will need to buy a reel of 0.4 mm fishing line if you want to use bristles or a set of needles if you prefer them).
1 x pair lasting pliers for pulling the upper over the last
1 x flat, shoe making knife for everything!
2 x awl handles
1 x welting awl blade for stitching your welt
1 x stitching awl blade for sewing your sole
1 x shoemaking tape measure
1 x silver pen for marking your leather upper
1 x sleeking bone for smoothing out lumps and bumps
1 x French shape hammer for shaping and smoothing your leather
1 x edge iron for setting your sole edges – please choose the width you want from 3/16″ – 3/8″
1 x heel iron for burnishing your sole and heels
1 x plough, a push knife for trimming lips
1 x size 10 fudge wheel for marking the stitches
(Basic tools, such as nail punches and nippers, can be bought from a local hardware store. Once you really get into shoe making, we offer a whole host of other specialist shoe making tools to add to your tool box!)
SHOEMAKING VIDEOS – 6 MODULES
We’re bringing everything that we know about handsewn shoe making online in our new shoemaking videos. This set of 6 modules covers our infamous 12-day course for beginners, filmed over several days and edited into bite-sized modules that take you through the 200+ steps in the shoemaking process.
Module 1: Preparation – How to prepare the components for handsewn shoe making – the stiffeners, toe puffs, insoles (including the holdfast), welts and threads (Duration: 39 minutes)
Module 2: Hand Lasting – How to fit the stiffeners and toe puffs; and pull over and secure the uppers to make the shoes tightly shaped to the last (Duration: 34 minutes)
Module 3: Welting – How to hand stitch a leather welt around the shoes (Duration: 31 minutes)
Module 4: Soling – How to prepare and attach a leather shank, cork filler and a leather sole, stitched by hand (Duration: 45 minutes)
Module 5: Heel building – How to build leather heels with layers of leather, nails and paste (Duration: 52 minutes)
Module 6: Finishing Parts I, II & III – How to finish the soles and heels – waxed and polished (Duration: 52 minutes, 15 minutes & 10 minutes)
Now you are all set for shoe making!
Delivery and returns
Delivery & Returns Info.
- Shipping – We process and ship Shoe Making Shop orders once a week on a Friday. They are trackable and signed for via Royal Mail or Parcelforce. We’ll let you know what the tracking number is when we ship. We process all other orders within 7 days and we alert customers to any out of stock items or delays with their orders.
- Change an order – It’s not always possible to add to or change your order but call us straight away and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please call +44(0)20 37743471 between 10am-6pm UK time or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Returns & Exchanges – Lasts take approx. three weeks to make and are made to order, so cannot be returned or refunded. You can return or exchange other items, but please let us know your intention by email to email@example.com. Return the item in an unused, re-sellable condition within 14 days. Send to Carreducker London Limited, Unit 50, Chocolate Studios, 7 Shepherdess Place, London N1 7LJ.
- Refunds – We will issue a full refund for the value of your order, including the original shipping costs, within 30 days of receipt of the item in an unused, re-sellable condition.
- Out of stock –If an item is temporarily out of stock, we will contact you immediately by email with an expected delivery time for the item. You can choose to wait, to cancel your order or for a separate delivery when we receive the item.
- Exemptions – The right to return products does not apply to the following. Goods we make to your specification, that we clearly personalise or which, by reason of their nature, are non-returnable
See our full Terms & Conditions here.