Vintage Shoe Book by Alan Fox
A History of the National Union of Boot & Shoe Operatives by Alan tells the story of the union founded in 1873.
Many riveters and finishers left the Amalgamated Society of Boot and Shoe Makers, dissatisfied by their low status, to form the National Union of Boot and Shoe Rivetters and Finishers. By 1877, the union had about 4,000 members and included women members in the late 1880s, making it the first union outside the textile trades to admit both men and women.
In Northampton only 600 of the 15,000 shoe workers in the town held union membership until a successful five-week lock-out resulted in a settlement favourable to the union when hundreds of new members joined. By the end of the year, national membership had reached 10,000.
During the late 1880s and early 1890s, socialist members led campaigns against sweatshop working and outworking, where people worked from their own homes and were paid by item completed.
In 1897, the union renamed itself as the “National Union of Boot and Shoe Operatives”, and joined the General Federation of Trade Unions the following year and membership rose to over 100,000 by 1920.
The decline in the British shoe-making industry led the union to merge with the Amalgamated Society of Leather Workers, the National Union of Glovers and Leather Workers and the National Union of Leather Workers and Allied Trades in 1971, to form the National Union of Footwear, Leather and Allied Trades.
1 in stock
Delivery and returns
Vintage Shoe Book by Aln Fox Pliers Delivery & Returns Info.
- Shipping – We process and ship Shoe Making Shop orders once a week on a Friday. They are trackable and signed for via Royal Mail or Parcelforce. We’ll let you know what the tracking number is when we ship. We process all other orders within 7 days and we alert customers to any out of stock items or delays with their orders.
- Change an order – It’s not always possible to add to or change your order but call us straight away and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please call +44(0)20 37743471 between 10am-6pm UK time or email us at email@example.com
- Returns & Exchanges – You can return or exchange items, but please let us know your intention by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Return the item in an unused, re-sellable condition within 14 days. Send to Carreducker London Limited, 1.20 Oxo Tower Wharf, Bargehouse St, London SE1 9PH.
- Refunds – We will issue a full refund for the value of your bulldog pliers, including the original shipping costs, within 30 days of receipt of the item in an unused, re-sellable condition.
- Out of stock –If an item is temporarily out of stock, we will contact you immediately by email with an expected delivery time for the item. You can choose to wait, to cancel your order or for a separate delivery when we receive the item.
- Exemptions – The right to return products does not apply to the following. Goods we make to your specification, that we clearly personalise or which, by reason of their nature, are non-returnable
See our full Terms & Conditions here.