Italian Leather Folio / i-Pad Case
- Time: 10am – 4pm
- Please email us here to arrange a convenient date allowing four weeks notice
On this short leather course you will learn to make a beautiful, Italian veg. tanned leather folio. The folio is perfectly sized for an i-Pad or small tablet and is lined with 100% felted wool for added protection. It is an envelope design with three hand stitched edges and a small Sam Browne stud fastening in either brass or nickel. You can also personalise the folio with your initials or name.
You will start with a set of tools, materials and the pre-cut leather pieces.(Please note that we pre-cut the leather using press knives to give crisp, sharp edges for a great-looking, finished product).
Then through demonstration, trial and guidance you will learn:
- How to prepare and finish the leather edges
- How to mark and fix the felt in place and to attach the stud fastening
- How to cement the edges together
- How to punch the stitch holes and to set your work in a clam
- How to use an awl and stitching needles
- How to saddle stitch and to finish your work
There’s no greater feeling than the satisfaction of making something yourself. We hope that this practical leather work course and the comprehensive making notes supplied in class will encourage you to try your own saddle stitch projects in the future.
Our courses also make a great gift and can be purchased using our gift cards.
All the materials needed for the course are provided and we have aprons for your use, but please wear trousers so that you can use the stitching clam comfortably.
- We use the finest Italian veg. tanned leathers in our leatherwork from small tanneries, members of the Consorzio Vera Pelle Italiana Conciata Al Vegetale in Tuscany
- The leathers are supple, waxy and wonderfully tactile
- Veg. tanned leather is a natural, organical material; the tone and depth of colour of the leather varies and will change with use and age, developing their own beautiful patina over time.
See our full Terms & Conditions here.