Make Your Own Shoes / Boots – Hand Welting Workshop
- Email us to arrange a convenient start date
- Time: 10am – 5pm for five days or as an evening class over two terms
- Please allow six weeks before your preferred start date
MAKE YOUR OWN SHOES / BOOTS
You will learn two of the most important elements of hand sewn shoe making, hand lasting and hand welting.
- Hand lasting is the stage of pulling the leather shoe upper over the last (the forms that the shoes are made on), where it is secured in place with nails. It is one of the most important because a hand lasted shoe has a beautiful shape, exactly following the contours of the last.
- Hand welting is the next stage, where a strip of leather is stitched by hand around the edge of the shoe. This is the foundation for attaching the sole and heel.
- You will work with specialist shoe making tools – a shoe making knife (your best friend or worst enemy depending on how sharp it is), lasting pliers, nippers, a leather hammer and a sewing awl and mitt.
Once you have finished welting, your shoes will be sent off to our specialist, award winning cobbler to have the leather sole and heel attached before being carefully boxed up and delivered back to you ready to be worn!
All materials are provided.
The course runs for some 35 hours of teaching time which you can take as an evening class, on weekdays or by arrangement on Saturdays.
Please book the course and then contact us to arrange to choose your shoe size, style and leather and to arrange a start date.
See our full Terms & Conditions here.