Welted Shoe Making Course – 5 Day
- 11 – 15 February 2019
- 3 – 7 June 2019
- Time: 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Book by: Four weeks before the course starts
On this five-day shoe making course you will learn two of the most important elements of hand sewn shoe making, hand lasting and hand welting.
Hand lasting is the stage of pulling the leather shoe upper over the last (the forms that the shoes are made on), where it is secured in place with nails. It is one of the most important because a hand lasted shoe has a beautiful shape, exactly following the contours of the last.
Hand welting is the next stage, where a strip of leather is stitched by hand around the edge of the shoe. This is the foundation for attaching the sole and heel.
You can choose from five shoe styles:
- Plain derby shoe
- Plain Oxford shoe
- Brogue Oxford with a straight toe cap
- Brogue Derby with a straight toe cap
- Full brogue and gimped Derby with a straight toe cap
And four different leather colours:
- Dark brown
During the week, we will guide you through:
- Blocking and shaping your insole (the leather footbed inside the shoes that the foot rests on)
- Making stiffeners and toe puffs (the leather inside the shoe that strengthens it, gives it shape and helps with the fit)
- Creating a holdfast; a ridge in the insole that you will stitch through
- Inserting the stiffener at the heel and the toe puff at the toe
- Hand lasting your uppers over and nailing them in place
- Making a welt
- Making threads
- Sewing the welt around the edge of the shoe
You will work with specialist shoe making tools – a shoe making knife (your best friend or worst enemy depending on how sharp it is), lasting pliers, nippers, a leather hammer and a sewing awl and mitt.
At the end of the week your shoes will be sent off to our specialist cobbler to have a leather sole and heel attached before being carefully boxed up and delivered back to you ready to be worn!
See our full Terms & Conditions here.
You might also like
Shoe Making Kit 1 (with lasts)£346.50 Buy
Shoe Making Kit 2 (without lasts)£273.00 Buy
Shoe Making Leather Kit£84.00 Buy
One-on-one Shoe Making Course£2,600.00 Details & Book
Introduction to Shoe Making Course – 1-Day£375.00 Details & Book
Intensive Shoe Making Course – 12 Days£2,150.00 Details & Book