3-Day Derby Boot Pattern Making Course – 1-to-1 and small groups
- Duration: 3 days
- Time: 9:30am – 5pm
- Book: Email us to arrange a date
- Location: SW London
The Derby boot is a wardrobe essential and the basis for so many popular boot designs. Creating an accurate, well-fitting boot pattern is essential to creating well-proportioned, well-fitting uppers and boots.
On this practical 3-day course you will learn the skills required to make paper patterns for a low, Derby boot by hand. Time permitting, you will then be able to develop your own low boot design, starting with a sketch or photograph as inspiration, using the skills and techniques you have learned.
Working on the last, you will make a full set of patterns (including linings) for a classic, low Derby boot. These and the comprehensive notes supplied in class will provide a strong foundation from which to start to create your own Derby boot design in class and in the future.
The course is taught by industry expert Fiona Campbell, MA who teaches the pattern maker’s techniques through demonstration, trial and guidance including:
- Familiarisation with the last
- Taping and designing onto the last
- Making a paper mean forme
- Learning about edge treatments and seam allowances
- Making a standard from the last
- Creating the pattern pieces from the standard
All the materials needed for the course are provided.
Fees vs Group Size
The fee shown is for a 1-to-1 course, but we are able to train up to four people at once and the fee per person will be adjusted accordingly.
Covid – Health & Safety
- Students will be socially distanced at the work bench
- Students and tutors will wear masks at all times unless more than 2m apart
- Students are asked to bring their own lunch and water with them
- Each student will have their own set of tools to work with
- Hand sanitiser and disposable paper towels will be made available in the classroom and washrooms
- NHS tracking is displayed on site and students are asked to check in on arrival
See our full Terms & Conditions here.
1 in stock