Handsewn Shoe Making Videos – Module 2: Hand Lasting – Download
We’re bringing everything that we know about handsewn shoe making online, some 30 years experience, so that wherever you are in the world you can access the very best training, tips and techniques in our new shoe making videos.
The shoe making process is filmed over several weeks and edited into bite-sized modules that take you through the 200+ steps in making a pair of handsewn shoes, some 4 hours of tuition.
You can buy the course in full or cherry pick which module you would like, so whether you are a complete beginner or a shoemaker looking to finesse your techniques or top up your knowledge there is something here for you.
Our detailed step-by-step videos take you through the entire 200+ steps in the English handsewn shoe making process to make a pair of leather soled and heels shoes using traditional hand tools and heritage craft techniques including hand lasting and hand welting.
MODULE 1: PREPARATION (39 minutes)
How to prepare the components for handsewn shoe making – the stiffeners, toe puffs, insoles (including the holdfast), welts and threads
MODULE 2: LASTING (34 minutes)
How to fit the stiffeners and toe puffs; and pull over and secure the uppers to make the shoes tightly shaped to the last
MODULE 3: WELTING (31 minutes)
How to hand stitch a leather welt around the shoes
MODULE 4: SOLING (45 minutes)
How to prepare and attach a leather shank, cork filler and a leather sole, stitched by hand
MODULE 5: HEEL BUILDING (52 minutes)
How to build leather heels with layers of leather, nails and paste
MODULE 6: FINISHING I, II & III (51, 15 & 9 minutes)
How to finish the soles and heels – waxed and polished; pull the lasts and sock the shoes
SUPPLIES, TOOLS & MATERIALS
The materials that you need to make leather shoes are available in our Supplies Shop; click on the links below to take a look.
- Shoe Making Kit 1 – lasts, uppers and Bakers of Colyton leather pack
- Shoe Making Kit 2 – uppers and Bakers of Colyton leather pack
- Leather pack – Bakers of Colyton stiffeners, toe puffs, welts, insoles, soles, shank, cork, split lift, heel lifts, top pieces
- A pair of lasts
- A pair of uppers (if you have your own lasts, send us the left one with your design and choice of leather colours and we will have your uppers made for you)
- A tool kit including French hammer, awls, lasting pliers, edge irons, nail hammer etc.
- A thread kit including tar, thread wax, thread
- Materials e.g. contact adhesive (e.g. neoprene), shoe making paste, talcum powder, 26mm nails, 20mm nails
- A spirit burner
- A strop
(We do not sell bristles for the threads, but you can buy boar or acrylic bristles or shoe making needles; or use 0.04mm fishing line as bristles).
- ‘HOW TO…’ videos on our YouTube channel showing how to hold and use various specialist shoe making tools
- Face-to-face shoe making courses at our London workshop, tailored to you, depending on Government covid guidelines.
- Zoom support with master shoemakers James Ducker or Deborah Carre at £30 per hour by arrangement.
Masterclasses modules: Norwegian Welt, Storm Welt, Fiddle Waist and Bevelled Waist
Copyright: 2020 Carréducker
All Rights Reserved; this product is to be used solely by the purchaser (customer of Carréducker) and may be downloaded to one tablet, mobile phone, laptop, PC or MAC only. It may not be shared, uploaded, distributed or otherwise published. All downloaded copies remain the property of Carréducker and are protected by copyright law.
See our full Terms & Conditions here.